Food Safety refers to handling, preparing and storing food in a way to best reduce the risk of individuals becoming sick from foodborne illnesses.
Food safety is a global concern that covers a variety of different areas of everyday life.
The principles of food safety aim to prevent food from becoming contaminated and causing food poisoning. This is achieved through a variety of different avenues, some of which are:
- Properly cleaning and sanitising all surfaces, equipment and utensils
- Maintaining a high level of personal hygiene, especially hand-washing
- Storing, chilling and heating food correctly with regards to temperature, environment and equipment
- Implementing effective pest control
- Comprehending food allergies, food poisoning and food intolerance